This is such a pleasant dish!
Tarte à l’Oignon, or onion pie, comes from the Alsace area of France, and it’s pure nation meals. Traditionally, it’s a pastry crust stuffed with a milky egg combination, cooked bacon, and plenty and many onions.
Like, 5 or extra. The enormous ones.
While it would seem to be we have already got some issues, for those who’re keen to make some untraditional alterations, this may be recreated with a a lot decrease carb depend. One such alteration is to scale method again on the onions and leverage their style potential by caramelizing them. That method, you get extra depth of taste for much less quantity. The second change I made was to make use of keto-pleasant milk substitutes as a substitute of entire milk. Next, was to only skip the crust totally. And lastly, I made an government determination to make use of sliced nation sausage as a substitute of bacon. It’s a rustic dish and there’s nothing extra nation in my dwelling territory than smoked sausage. Consider this my Southern (US) twist on the French basic.
The finish result’s an extremely gentle and creamy filling with a deep savory-candy steadiness. Trust me after I let you know it’s great. The first time I made it, my leftover-loathing husband ate it for breakfast day by day for the higher a part of every week… deliberately!
Notes: Yes, I used an herb mix from Provence in a pie from Alsace. No, I’m not even barely ashamed about that. Yes, I additionally added cheese. No, I’m not ashamed of that, both.
The solely critical be aware I’ve for you is that how a lot salt you wish to add is actually going to rely by yourself style. I like my meals salty, y’all, so I usually add about 3/4 tsp. This dish does, nonetheless, have already got fairly a little bit of saltiness from the sausage, so for those who’re extra delicate to that you could be wish to cut back to 1/2 tsp. That tidbit is famous within the recipe.
A Southern twist on this French nation basic.
- Small quantity of butter or bacon drippings, to rub pie plate
- 1-2 tbsp (1/2-1 fl oz/14-30 ml) avocado oil, as wanted
- 2 giant yellow onions (approx. 10-11 oz/300 g) halved then very thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp (1/2 oz/14 g) butter, salted
- 1 tbsp (1/2 fl oz/14 ml) sherry vinegar
- 1 lb (16 oz/454 g) smoked nation sausage, sliced into small, chunk-sized items
- 1-2 tbsp (1/2-1 fl oz/14-30 ml) water, as wanted
- 4 giant eggs
- 1/2 c (4 fl oz/118 ml) heavy cream
- 1/2 c (4 fl oz/118 ml) unsweetened carton coconut milk (the skinny stuff within the field)
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2-3/4 tsp sea salt (to style, use 1/2 tsp for those who’re extra delicate to salty meals)
- 1/2 tsp Herbes de Provence
- 1/4 tsp floor black pepper
- 1/8 tsp floor nutmeg
- 4 oz (113 g) Garlic & Herb Boursin Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and rub a heavy-bottomed deep dish pie plate (I exploit a heavy ceramic pie dish) nicely with bacon grease or butter. If desired (and for ease of transport), place the pie plate on a baking sheet.
- In a medium-giant skillet, warmth a tbsp avocado oil over medium-excessive warmth till it’s sizzling and shimmery.
- Add the onions to the skillet and prepare dinner, stirring pretty continually, till the onions start getting golden. Immediately flip the warmth right down to medium-low, and maintain the onions shifting within the skillet by stirring till it cools off to a low and regular warmth.
- Continue to prepare dinner the onions down over medium-low for about 15-20 minutes, stirring recurrently to maintain them from catching.
- When they begin deepening right into a darker golden brown shade, add the butter and sherry vinegar and stir nicely. Continue to prepare dinner down till they’re caramelized to your liking, from 5-quarter-hour. I desire a really deep caramel, which often takes one other 10-quarter-hour.
- Remove the onions from the skillet and prepare evenly within the backside of the pie plate.
- In the identical skillet, add a contact further avocado oil if wanted and switch the warmth as much as medium.
- Add the sliced sausage and stir over medium warmth till flippantly browned and cooked by means of, about 7-10 minutes relying on how thickly you sliced it. A couple of minutes in, add somewhat water to the skillet to assist scrape up any cooked on bits so all that taste totally coats the sausage.
- With a slotted spoon, take away the cooked sausage and put it evenly into the pie plate and let all of it stand to chill somewhat. Leave behind any extra grease within the skillet. Trust me, including the fats from the skillet goes to make your pie soupy and greasy, and there’s loads of fats with out the additional.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk collectively the eggs, heavy cream, coconut milk, coconut flour, and seasonings till very nicely mixed and clean.
- Pour egg combination evenly over the pie filling, then gently shake the pie dish.
- Break the Boursin cheese up into small chunks and gently distribute evenly excessive of the pie, then gently shake the pie plate once more so it settles into it naturally.
- Bake within the middle of the oven at 400°F for 30-40 minutes, or till it’s set, the highest is getting golden, and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clear.
- Remove from the oven and let stand to chill for 15-20 minutes earlier than slicing and serving sizzling.
Per slice (1/8 pie): 350 cal, 12.9 g protein, 29.5 g fats, 6.1 g carbs, 0.9 g fiber, 5.2 g NET carbs
Keywords: Tarte a l’Oignon, onion pie, french, Alsace, caramelize onion, sausage, quiche, crust much less, quiche