Here it’s, y’all. The pièce de résistance!
Ketofied pecan pie.
Yes, I did that. It got here to me at some point as I used to be strolling by my native grocer and stumbled upon this stunning new product: liquid Allulose. As I’m standing there within the baking aisle, taking a look at this little bottle of pleasure, it occurred to me that it was throughout the realm of risk for these items to face in for the corn syrup in pecan pie. Thus was born this recipe.
Once I had the liquid allulose, the filling half was tremendous simple. It was only a matter of changing the opposite sweetener with granulated keto-pleasant brown stuff and tweaking flavors slightly bit. The arduous half was really the crust. Initially, I believed to do pecan pie bars, however the filling was simply so gooey that not one of the cakey or cookie kind backside stuff held up. Then I made a decision on pie correct. It arrange superbly, however my press-in crust dissolved into that gloriously gelatinous pecan filling.
What to do…
I settled on my Salted Caramel Pie Crust, and it labored splendidly. It’s very sturdy and held up nicely sufficient that I may really decide up a slice by the crust and eat it with my fingers (not that I’m doing that on the common or something). And from right here on out, my ketofied Southern Thanksgivings and Christmases are full.
Notes (there are fairly just a few, so don’t skip this part): Yes, it’s essential to use liquid allulose. No, there isn’t a working substitute. Sorry.
For the brown sweetener, you possibly can completely use Swerve or Lakanto. For the document, I’ve made this with Swerve Brown a number of occasions in trials and it turned out simply high quality. However, the most effective tasting trial run was made with Sukrin Gold granulated brown sweetener. Sukrin Gold comprises one ingredient (malt extract) of which I’m not a fan and don’t actually suppose belongs on a ketogenic protocol. At the identical time, outdoors of my testing section, I’m actually making this a couple of times a yr, most, and I believe that’s unlikely to interrupt my keto financial institution, in order that’s the brown sweetener I like to recommend on this dish. If you’d somewhat go together with one thing else, go proper forward. It’s nonetheless fantastic.
I added a contact of maple extract simply to extend the depth of taste. Most pecan pies are made with corn syrup (many use the darkish variety) or molasses, and since you’re not getting that very same, wealthy favor out of liquid allulose the maple extract helps make up the distinction. If you’d like to go away it out, whatevs, simply know to count on a a lot lighter style.
The macros I calculated embody the complete pie crust recipe. There was really an excellent bit I lower off, and so for those who needed to scale back waste you possibly can lower the crust recipe by half. It can be a bit thinner than for those who made the total recipe, however that’s OK. I really acquired slightly dorky with my crust scraps and made slightly Santa hat lower out with which to brighten my most up-to-date pie (as proven under). If you’d like to make use of the scraps to do one thing related, be at liberty. I like to recommend including the to the highest of your pie within the final ten minutes or so of bake time. The pie heart will not be totally set at that time, so be very cautious when putting them.
Last, however definitely not least, is a little bit of a cautionary observe. Due to the character of this pie, it’s going to be very heavy in sweetener. While the NET carbs are fairly low, the whole carb rely may be very excessive per slice, so for those who occur to rely complete this can be a recipe you need to skip. Even for many who rely NET, I like to recommend protecting this strictly to the vacations. It’s one factor to have numerous low-carb pleasant sweetener in your Christmas and Thanksgiving desk. It’s one thing else fully to eat like this on a regular basis. Outside of this particular time of yr, this isn’t a recipe I’d usually submit as a result of it’s simply so dang heavy in sweetener and I don’t like going complete hog in on sweeteners. And due to the abundance of allulose and erythritol (or monk fruit), be very conscious that for those who dive in and inhale most of this pie by your self, there’ll in all probability be a point of digestive upset. I counsel stopping at one piece at a time.
So, now that you just’ve been duly cautioned, on to the recipe.
To reduce waste, you could lower the pie crust recipe in half, if desired. This recipe was formulated utilizing an previous household one, thus I used quantity measurements.
- 1 recipe Salted Caramel Pie Crust
- 1 c (8 fl oz/237 ml) liquid allulose (I used Wholesome Sweeteners model)
- 1/2 c brown sweetener, packed (I choose Sukrin Gold, however Swerve Brown works, too)
- 3 eggs, massive
- 3 tbsp (1.5 oz/43 g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp maple extract (if desired)
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 2 c uncooked pecan halves
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and put together a 9” pie plate.
- Make the Salted Caramel Pie Crust, roll it out as directed, and switch it into the pie plate. Cut off any extra that overlaps the outer rim of the pie plate and discard scraps.
- Par-bake the pie crust at 350° F for 7 minutes after which take away from oven and let stand whereas mixing the filling. The pie can be simpler to get into and out of the oven with out sloshing or spilling for those who put the pie plate on a baking sheet, so do this now, if desired.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk collectively all remaining substances besides pecans. Make positive the combination is nicely-integrated.
- Spread the pecans evenly into the par-baked pie crust, then evenly pour the filling combination over the pecans. Cover the sides with a pie defend (extremely beneficial!).
- Bake the pie at 350° F for 30-45 minutes, or till the filling is about and solidified on prime.
- Remove from the oven and let stand till room temperature.
- Serve as desired and luxuriate in! Store leftovers within the fridge.
Per slice (1/10 recipe): 370 cal, 10.7 g protein, 34 g fats, 37.7 g carbs, 4 g fiber, 11.7 g sugar alcohol, 18 g allulose sweetener, 4 g NET carbs
Keywords: Pecan pie, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Pie