It’s Lent as soon as once more, and meaning a number of vegetarian and pescatarian meals within the Pagano abode. My first low carb Lent providing this 12 months is a really tasty, Cajun-seasoned, Parmesan-crusted fish, served over coleslaw combine with a creamy lime and garlic dressing.
Fish tacos are a fairly large factor proper now; they often encompass crispy breaded fish served over a candy, lime-laced coleslaw in avenue taco shells. Now, taco salad is certainly one of my all-time favourite meals, and so the apparent answer to lack of tortilla is to serve my keto breaded fish salad-fashion. Because I’m busy and at all times trying to simplify, I made a decision to make one dressing to rule all of them as a substitute of a lime dressing for the slaw and a separate remoulade to high.
The finish outcome was a brilliant filling and attractive Lenten Friday meal that provides the parents down on the parish barbecue a run for his or her cash.
Notes: As per common, breading is a little bit of an inexact course of. I gave one of the best estimates as to how a lot of every ingredient I used, however relying on how heavy-handed you might be along with your dredging you would possibly want slightly kind of. Hence, the coconut flour and Parmesan cheese measurements will not be useless on, and the macros are slightly extra of an estimate than common. As lengthy as the quantity you utilize is pretty shut, your macros must be largely in keeping with mine.
Also, I’m conscious that individuals both love cilantro or hate it, so I garnished my bowl with this vivid and exquisite herb (however left it off my cilantro-loathing husband’s), and listed it as an elective ingredient so you’ll be able to customise to your individual choice.
Some of the weather on this dish are inexact in measurements, as a result of nature of breading. I’ll give my greatest estimates on how a lot can be used, however you might use slightly kind of than the quantities I’ve urged. As lengthy because it’s shut, the macros can be pretty constant.
For the dressing:
- 1 c (8 fl oz/237 ml) bitter cream
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp floor black pepper
For the fish:
- 1 lb (16 oz/ 454 g) catfish fillets (or your favourite white fish), sliced into 1″ chunks
- 2 tbsp (approx. 1/2 oz/ 14 g) coconut flour
- 1/2 c (approx. 1 3/4 oz/ 50 g) Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning, divided
- 1-2 eggs, massive
- 1-2 tbsp heavy cream
- avocado oil to fry, sufficient to fill about 1/4″ of the underside of a skillet
For the salad:
- 1 lb (16 oz/ 454 g) bag shredded coleslaw greens (uncooked cabbage combination)
- 2 massive radishes, rinsed nicely and thinly sliced
- 1 oz (57 g) purple onion, thinly sliced into strips
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- cilantro to garnish, if desired
For the dressing:
- Mix all dressing components nicely and refrigerate in an hermetic container till able to serve.
For the fish:
- In a large, shallow bowl or on a plate, stir collectively the coconut flour and 1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning.
- In a large, shallow bowl, combine collectively egg and heavy cream to make an egg wash.
- In a large, shallow bowl stir collectively the Parmesan cheese and remaining Cajun seasoning.
- To bread the fish, dredge a chunk flippantly within the coconut flour. This can be a light-weight dusting, so shake off any extra.
- Next, dip your fish piece into the egg wash and permit any extra to drip again into the bowl.
- Finally, dredge the fish within the Parmesan combination, letting any extra shake again into the bowl, and put aside. Repeat with each bit of fish till it’s all breaded and let stand on a plate whilst you warmth your oil.
- In a big skillet, warmth avocado oil over medium-excessive till a drop of water pops and sizzles.
- Add just a few items at a time to fry, being cautious to not crowd the pan. Pan fry the primary facet for 3 minutes or so, or till the underside is golden brown and solidified.
- Flip the fish and proceed to fry on the second facet till it’s golden brown and uniform, and the fish is cooked via. This won’t take lengthy, because the smaller items of fish will cook dinner via in a short time. If the breading begins browning too rapidly, flip the warmth right down to medium and proceed.
- Remove to empty on paper towels and repeat the frying course of with the remaining fish in batches.
For the salad:
- Toss collectively all greens.
- Divide the combined salad between six plates and high with equal parts sizzling fried fish and dressing to serve.
- Garnish with contemporary cilantro, if desired.
Per serving: 252 cal, 19.9 g protein, 14.7 g fats, 10.8 g carbs, 2.9 g fiber, 7.9 g NET carbs
Keywords: lent, fish, barbecue, pescatarian, fish taco, taco salad