It’s Good Friday, and this incredible tackle Cajun-style shrimp and grits is the final of my Lenten Friday choices for this season. I don’t dare to really name it grits, and even faux-grits, primarily as a result of a lot as I get pleasure from caulirice, as I’ve talked about earlier than it’s actually simply not the identical as grits in any respect. Even although I believe the garlicky-cheesy taste right here is superb, and actually does masks any lingering cauliflower style, the feel continues to be caulirice.
But, it’s actually shut sufficient that it hits the identical spot. And, funnily sufficient, my husband famous that he tends to seek out caulirice kind-of bland, and that this dish was not even remotely bland and it did remind him of actual grits. I’m an excessive amount of of a purist to concede the gritty level, however hubby says it’s a keeper, and I gained’t argue with that!
Notes: If you’re having bother discovering a clear Cajun seasoning, take a look at Select Savory Seasonings Cajun blend.
- 1 lb (16 oz/ 454 g) small shrimp, uncooked, peeled and deveined, tail off, and dried
- 6 tbsp (3 oz/ 369 g) butter, salted, divided
- 1 tsp your favourite (sugar- and starch-free) Cajun seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 oz (43 g) onion, finely diced
- 20 oz (567 g) frozen riced cauliflower
- 1 tsp Seasoned Salt, or your favourite salt mix
- 1 small can (4 oz/ 113 g) diced inexperienced chilies, undrained
- 1/2 c (4 fl oz/ 118 ml) heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp glucomannan powder
- 4 oz (113 g) cheddar cheese, shredded
- a bit of chopped or dried parsley, to garnish
- In a big skillet, soften half of the butter over medium-high warmth.
- Once the butter has come as much as temperature, add the cleaned shrimp to the skillet and cook dinner till simply pink and translucent. Seafood cooks quick, so this can take only some minutes.
- When the shrimp simply begins to look finished, sprinkle with the Cajun seasoning, give it one other good stir for a minute, then switch to a plate and put aside.
- In the identical skillet, add the remainder of the butter and switch the warmth all the way down to medium. Be positive to scrape up any seasonings left within the backside of the pan so it mixes with the melting butter and doesn’t burn.
- Add the onion and garlic to the skillet as quickly because the butter is melted and as much as temperature, and sauté till the onion is translucent and softening.
- Stir within the frozen cauliflower rice and Seasoned Salt, ensuring to interrupt up any chunks because it cooks.
- Cook the caulirice combination for 5 minutes, then add within the inexperienced chilies and proceed to cook dinner one other 3-4 minutes till the cauliflower is generally cooked by means of and nearly all of the liquid within the pan has evaporated.
- Sprinkle the glucomannan over the heavy cream whereas whisking vigorously, then pour it immediately into the pan with the caulirice.
- Let cook dinner one other minute or two to thicken, stirring consistently.
- Stir within the cheese to soften, then stir within the reserved Cajun shrimp to warmth by means of, one other minute or two, most.
- Remove from the warmth instantly, garnish with parsley, and serve.
Per serving: 352.5 cal, 25.7 g protein, 25.3 g fats, 8 g carbs, 2.9 g fiber, 5.1 g NET carbs
Keywords: Shrimp, Fish, Seafood, Lent